Trying to start a business but not sure if the name you want is available? Here are some tips on how to tell if a business name is taken.
Checkout this video:
Your business name is important. It will be one of your company’s most visible assets and will play a significant role in how customers perceive your business. Choosing an available, appropriate business name is one of the first steps you’ll take on the road to entrepreneurship.
Unfortunately, with over 28 million businesses already registered in the United States, the odds are not in your favor that the perfect name for your business is still available. The good news is that there are a number of things you can do to increase your chances of finding an available business name. This guide will show you how to conduct a preliminary search for your desired business name and what to do if someone else is already using it.
2. What is a Business Name?
A business name is the official name of your company, under which you will conduct all business operations. This is different from a personal name or the names of your products or services. Your business name should be distinguishable from other businesses in your industry, so that customers will be able to find you easily and remember you.
To register your business name, you will need to search for it in your state or county’s business registry. If it is available, you can then register it with the government and start using it for your business.
3. Why is it Important to Check if a Business Name is Taken?
There are several reasons why it’s important to check if a business name is taken before you start using it.
First, if another business is already using the name you want, you could be sued for trademark infringement. Second, even if you’re not infringing on anyone’s trademark, using a name that’s already taken can cause confusion among customers and make it difficult for them to find you online or in the phone book. Third, some states have laws that prohibit businesses from operating under a name that’s too similar to another business’s name.
Checking to see if a business name is taken is easy and can save you a lot of headaches down the road.
4. How to Check if a Business Name is Taken
You’ve got a great idea for a new business. The first step is to choose a name for your company. But how can you tell if the name you want is available?
Here are four ways to check if a business name is taken:
1. Do a quick online search. Enter the proposed name into a search engine such as Google or Bing, and see what comes up. If there are already companies using that name, it’s likely taken.
2. Search state business registries. Most states have an online database of registered businesses. Search for the proposed name in your state’s database to see if it’s been taken.
3. Check USPTO trademark databases. The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) maintains databases of registered trademarks. A trademark can be a word, phrase, logo, or other design that distinguishes a company’s products or services from those of its competitors. If the proposed business name is already trademarked, it’s probably best to choose another name.
4. Consult with an attorney or professional trademark search firm. This is the most expensive option, but it will give you the most complete picture of whether the proposed name is available for use.
5. What to do if the Business Name is Already Taken
If the business name you want is already taken, don’t despair. You may be able to find an available version by adding or changing a word or two in the original. For example, you could try a different spelling, use abbreviations, or add descriptive terms such as “solutions” or “inc.”
If you can’t find an available version of the business name you want, you can try to negotiate with the current owner for the rights to use it. This may be difficult and expensive, but it may be worth it if the name is essential to your business.
You can also try to create a new business name that is similar to the one you want but not identical. This may require some creativity, but it could be a good solution if you can’t get the exact name you want.
Though it can be difficult to tell if a business name is taken, there are some methods you can use to check. Searching online databases, contacting the local Chamber of Commerce, and searching for registered trademarks are all good ways to start. Additionally, you can try variations on your desired name or use a name generator if you’re stuck. Finally, remember to stay creative- a great name is an important part of a successful business!
There are a few ways you can tell if a business name is taken. One way is to do a google search of the name. If there are already businesses with that name, it’s likely taken. You can also check with your state’s Secretary of State office to see if the name is registered as a corporation or LLC. Finally, you can check for trademarks of the name by searching the USPTO’s trademark database.